Magnesium Flakes (food grade)
- Food-grade quality magnesium flakes with sea trace minerals – can be used for remineralising filtered drinking water, mouthwash, as well as detox bathing and footsoaking.
- Naturally evaporated magnesium chloride salt from pristine region 3,000m above sea level in the Tibetan Plateau (not near populations, mining or agri-industry).
- Laboratory tested in Australia (at ppb, no mercury nor lead detected).
- Contains approx 16% elemental magnesium ions (the highest in the range of magnesium chlorides). One pinch of flakes (half of one gram) = 80mg elemental magnesium per litre of filtered drinking water (to simulate natural spring water).
Keep air tight. Magnesium flakes will draw moisture if exposed to air for too long. If they draw too much moisture over a long time you can just liquefy the rest and use as a magnesium oil the same way as the flakes were used. The magnesium chloride does the same job whether as magnesium flakes or liquefied. But it is recommended to them up faster to get your daily dose of magnesium!
Benefits of Magnesium Flakes
Magnesium Flakes soaking allows your body to absorb magnesium via skin, effectively bypassing the digestive system and gaining faster access to cells. It is wonderfully relaxing – especially after a really hard day of physical or mental exertion. Soak or bathe all your cares away, relieve tight or sore muscles and joints, relax the nervous system, promote better sleep and recover from stress.
Magnesium soaking is a superior method of absorbing magnesium to tissue cells in the case of magnesium deficiency compared to taking tablets and powders, which аrе inefficiently digested and mostly expelled into the toilet. The gut wall can only cope with dilute amounts of magnesium – otherwise the stool liquefies and you lose the magnesium too quickly. Your internal tissue cells in muscle and bone may be starving for more magnesium, but the only way to absorb very large amounts of magnesium ions naturally is to let the skin do all the work via magnesium water soaking, or to apply Magnesium Cream or Magnesium Charge Lotion.
The other great benefit of magnesium flakes foot soaking or bathing is the therapeutic effect of the heat of the water itself. Magnesium flakes soaking is very soothing and relaxing and helps to prepare for a sound sleep if done half an hour before bed time.
Soaking with magnesium chloride flakes (food grade) is very gentle and moisturising for skin compared to soaking in magnesium sulphate (epsom salts), which can leave skin feeling dry and itchy. Magnesium chloride soaking leaves your skin feel silky soft and hydrated. More information about the differences between these two kinds of magnesium salts are in this article blog…
Recommended Dilution and Uses
- BATH: 1 or 2 cups per bath.
- FOOTSOAK: 1 dessertspoon or tablespoon full in half bucket hot water.
- Mg OIL MASSAGE or COMPRESS: 50g or 60g per 100ml water (adjust lower for sensitive skin). You can also apply additional plant oil to massage. With direct application to skin in massage or compress you may experience temporary tingling sensation. The solution may be diluted further if required. As magnesium cellular stores are replenished the tingling sensation dissipates.
- MOUTHWASH: 1 teaspoon per 250-350ml purified water. Store solution away from daylight. This dilution can also be used as an eye make up remover with application to cotton applicator.
- MINERAL DRINKING WATER FOR ENHANCED HYDRATION: To restore minerals in drinking water after distillation, reverse osmosis filtering, or in rain water, add a small pinch (approx 0.5 gram) in 1 litre water. Some people may like a bit more if they perspire a lot. It depends how much electrolyte loss you experience. There is no one precise amount for all. Adjust to suit individual requirements.
Soak for How Long?
Whether you soak in a full bath or via a footsoak, over half an hour of soaking, magnesium absorption slows down and then stops as the skin reservoir reaches saturation. In this way the body is self-regulating. It doesn’t matter from where on the body you absorb magnesium ions. This means that over half an hour the body can take up about the same amount from the footsoak as it can from the bath. However, the bath can deliver faster results all over the body due to the immersion and heat. This is a bonus for those recovering from surgery, injury, inflammation or other painful conditions. For these conditions use 2-3 cups magnesium flakes. The benefits of the footsoak is that it is often more convenient and uses less water and magnesium flakes.
Detox Via Magnesium Flakes Soaking:
During magnesium flakes soaking your skin also has the opportunity to excrete waste products, which lifts the load on the liver and kidneys. This is an added advantage.
Most of the magnesium in the body – about 99% – is in the muscle and bone tissue. These are the cells that can easily become dehydrated when magnesium levels get too low. It’s where we feel the effects of dehydration (such as cramping) most because we need magnesium to hold water in cells via its charge. The lower the magnesium status, the more we lose water too.
Transdermal absorption of magnesium works so well because magnesium chloride salt is highly water soluble and becomes completely incorporated in the water and easily taken up by cells without further digestion required. Dissolved in water magnesium chloride becomes ionized and in the right form for cells to use. In this ionized form magnesium can be easily transported around the body not only in the body’s fluid systems, but also trans-cellularly (from tissue cell to tissue cell).
Maintenance magnesium flakes footsoaks are recommended about 2-3 times per week – or more if stress levels are high.
Electrolyte Charged Drinking Water for Better Hydration
Elektra Magnesium Flakes can be used to make mineral alkaline drinking water from filtered, distilled or rain water. It can also be used to make a mouth wash with a stronger concentration (1 teaspoon per 250-300mL), which is alkalising and beneficial for teeth and gum health. Magnesium is anti-inflammatory and supports healing and recovery. Magnesium chloride salt is the most bio-available and easy to absorb way to take up magnesium. It gets into your cells quickly.
Many Researchers Call Magnesium ‘The Anti-Aging Mineral’
The body uses magnesium to rest, recover from stress, re-hydrate cells, restore energy levels and strengthen bones. Magnesium and moisture provide more shock absorbing capacity for bones because magnesium has a strong affinity with water. Cells need it to be present in water in order to hydrate better. Magnesium is arguably the most important mineral electrolyte in the body for that reason. If magnesium levels drop too low bones cells start to leak out their calcium stores and this is the beginning of osteoporosis.
Magnesium helps electrical and nervous system conductance in the body, as well as keeping the fluidity of our blood circulation and lymph system normal. In a sense, magnesium and water help to keep us younger and ‘juicier’!
In order to maintain our electrolyte fluids we also need the good oils (cholesterol fats) which stop our water from evaporating into the atmosphere. The cell membrane is made up of a lipid bi-layer, which has channels that open and close, letting wastes out and allowing nutrients in. The good fats help us to stay well lubricated, keeping the moisture where it is supposed to be. The skin barrier is a similar version of protective membrane.
As 99% of magnesium in the body is stored in muscle and bone, blood levels are not accurate indicators of total body magnesium levels. Muscle and bone cells can sacrifice their stored magnesium in order to keep blood levels normal. By the time we show up with low magnesium levels in blood, it indicates much more severe magnesium depletion in the rest of the body. As we age, magnesium levels drop lower and lower and it becomes very difficult to get enough magnesium via digestion alone. However, magnesium via skin can bypass the digestive system and allow the body to drink up what it needs for replenishment.
Magnesium is Essential for Bone Health
Scientific studies show, “Positive associations between greater intakes of dietary magnesium and grip strength, indices of skeletal muscle mass, and BMD in men and women in middle and older age groups.” These studies suggest that magnesium supplementation may help with strategies to prevent sarcopenia, frailty, falls, and fractures.
Use Any Combination of Elektra Magnesium Products
Some individuals may need two or three times the average daily magnesium requirement in cases of more severe magnesium deficiency or high levels of stress. In this case extra magnesium can be supplied via Elektra Magnesium Cream, Elektra Magnesium Oil Spritz, Elektra Magnesium Charge Lotion, as well as foot soaking or bathing with Elektra Magnesium Flakes.
There is no risk of overdose with transdermal magnesium because the body only takes up from the epidermis the magnesium that it can deal with at any one time. The skin acts in this way as a reservoir of nutrients – a bit like a dinner plate or smorgasbord. There are no chemicals in Elektra Magnesium products which artificially interfere with the healthy working of the skin barrier. The rich plant oils and butters help hold the magnesium ions inside the epidermal layer until used by the body. Magnesium Cream helps keep the skin well hydrated, plumped up and protected for several hours after application.
Use of Topical Magnesium for Hyper-Sensitive Cases
2. Start with small amounts of Herbal Elektra Magnesium Cream as a moisturiser to soothe and protect dry sensitive skin. Many people find the Herbal Magnesium Cream the ‘go-to’ first for sensitive or extra-dry skin. This one is our most popular cream being used and promoted via naturopathic clinics – in particular for those with sensitive, inflamed, itchy or rash-prone skin. Apply directly to itch prone areas, or just use all over as a body moisturizer. Do not apply directly to broken, open or weeping skin, but work the cream in around the injured area. Start with one teaspoon a day and then over a few weeks increase to 2 teaspoons for skin maintenance…
Again, there is no limit as to how much you use. It is well absorbed, feels so good on skin, and promotes a more youthful looking complexion. 2 teaspoons provides 300mg magnesium, which is an average daily maintenance amount. However people under high stress can need two or three times that amount, in which case it is best to combine different products such as magnesium soaking and/or adding on 6-12 sprays of Elektra Magnesium Oil Spritz.
The more stress we have to deal with the higher are the magnesium demands to support recovery, so it’s a bit of trial and error to work out your individual needs and daily routine. One T-shirt doesn’t fit all! But there is no danger of overdose, so use as much as you need to feel better.
Here is an interesting article too: https://www.elektramagnesium.